The Gunners went on to lose 3-0 to relegation-threatened Palace, delivering a crushing blow to the club’s hopes of finishing in the top four this season.
Fans chanted for Wenger’s resignation, while also aiming digs at players, singing: “You’re not fit to wear the shirt!”
It all seemed too much for Keswick, who, according to the Daily Mail , stunned the neutrals sat by him by getting up and walking out as Yohan Cabaye made the score 2-0 in the 63rd minute.
Leaving football matches early when you are in a position of seniority is generally considered the wrong thing to do.
One Football League chairman allegedly said: “It was astonishing to see him just up and leave. It’s just not done. Arsenal, known for their high standards, should be very embarrassed at such a lack of basic courtesy.”
Keswick’s departure is a bitter blow for manager Arsene Wenger, who is looking for support in the run in until the end of the campaign.
- Injured Arsenal stars escape reality by playing g1:12
- Sam Allardyce faces the press after shock 3-0 win8:24
- News of explosion is announced to fans inside the0:25
- Wenger coy on Arsenal future1:43
- Watch Arsene Wenger’s press conference ahead of A16:52
- Arsene Wenger denies Barcelona have been in conta0:20
- Arsene Wenger claims ‘nothing is good enough’ for0:58
- Arsene Wenger reveals team news ahead of away tri0:23
- Fan opinion WILL be a factor in Wenger’s future a1:15
- Piers Morgan throws a pen at co-host in anger ove0:37
- Carlo Ancelotti is asked if Arsene Wenger can sur0:54
- Wenger answers question on player reactions after0:46
Did Arsenal not give their all? Arsene Wenger responds after Crystal Palace thrashing
Wenger reportedly has a two-year contract offer on the table, with his current deal expiring this summer, which he is expected to sign despite recent fan protests.
Arsenal are facing the prospect of missing out on the top four for the first time under Wenger.
They currently sit seven points off the pace but have a game in hand over Manchester City.