Arsenal legend Bob Wilson admits he has been hurt by protests against Arsene Wenger.
Gunners fans have turned on the Frenchman after a dismal run of results saw them slip down to sixth in the Premier League table.
Wenger is yet to decide if he will stay on next season with more protests planned ahead of the clash with Manchester City.
Wilson has urged Wenger to clarify his future but wants the club to stick together during the tough period.
“I think he wants to be there. What I don’t want is Arsene Wenger to leave Arsenal FC under a cloud,” Wilson told BBC Radio 5 live.
“I know he’ll always be welcomed back after he retires but I’m really hurting to see Arsenal fans arguing amongst themselves right now.
“I feel Arsene should declare it. I just think it would be very good for the club all the way round if we just had a little bit more clarity.”
Wilson also believes Wenger has been unfairly criticised for his side’s recent slump.
- Arsene Wenger responds to possible Alexis Sanchez2:07
- ICYMI Five major talking points from Wenger’s Man4:56
- Arsenal legend Patrick Vieira weighs-in on Arsene1:52
- Watch Arsene Wenger’s press conference ahead of A16:52
- Arsene Wenger denies Barcelona have been in conta0:20
- Arsene Wenger claims ‘nothing is good enough’ for0:58
- Arsene Wenger reveals team news ahead of away tri0:23
- Fan opinion WILL be a factor in Wenger’s future a1:15
- Piers Morgan throws a pen at co-host in anger ove0:37
- Carlo Ancelotti is asked if Arsene Wenger can sur0:54
- Wenger answers question on player reactions after0:46
- Klopp faces the press ahead of crucial Arsenal cl24:17
Wenger coy on Arsenal future
“I won’t have it that he (Wenger) is not able to motivate his players – what I’m concerned about is the personality and the character of the players he has with him,” he added.
“There are some terrific players (but) I look at my team of many years ago and I look at the Invincibles and I think there is certainly a leadership (issue).”