All posts by admin

Can believes Man City victory will send shockwaves around Europe ahead of Champions League return

Date Posted,January 15, 2018

Emre Can believes Liverpool’s win over Manchester City will send shockwaves around Europe, ahead of the resumption of the Champions League next month.

The Reds inflicted a first Premier League defeat on City this season with Sunday’s thrilling 4-3 win at Anfield, although Jurgen Klopp’s side still trail them by 15 points.

Klopp’s side, beaten 5-0 at the Etihad Stadium earlier in the season, proved they can go head-to-head with City and beat the runaway Premier League leaders in a one-off game.

And Can says this bodes well for Liverpool’s prospects in Europe.

“If the teams saw us playing like that, they we will give us a lot of respect and we will take a lot of confidence,” said Can.

Can says the Reds are full of confidence (Image: Shaun Botterill)

“We didn’t have to pick one player out against City. Every single player performed and did an amazing job.

“If teams watch our performance today they will think “oh wow!” and they will see we are a strong side. But this is just one game. It’s just three points and we have to keep going.”

Can is out of contract this summer and said no decision had been made on his future, but admitted talks with Liverpool were ongoing.

“My agent is looking after everything but I’m here until the summer,” said Can. “I haven’t signed anything with anyone. I’m talking with everyone.

Can has also been discussing his Anfield future (Image: Action Images via Reuters)

“Of course I’m talking with Liverpool. Why not? I still have a contract here. It’s an amazing club. What can I say? My agent does the rest.

“I just concentrate on the scene, on my performance and the football. I will give everything for this team.”

Fellow midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum admits Liverpool must match Manchester City’s killer instinct if they are to have any chance of competing for the Premier League title.

Eight draws in the Premier League, coupled with two defeats, have undermined Liverpool’s title prospects, with Wijnaldum admitting they must be more consistent like City and kill off opponents when they have the chance.

Wijnaldum was part of the Reds side that shocked City at Anfield (Image: AFP)

Asked if the gap should be as wide as it is between the two sides after Liverpool’s win, Wijnaldum said: “That’s the reality and you have to accept it.

“They did it much better in some games. There were some difficult games for them, but they still scored and killed the game. That is something we didn’t do.

“Even on Sunday, we still give them a chance to come back. That’s the biggest thing we have to change if we want to compete with teams like City.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable
Click to playTap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel

Play now

“I don’t want to say the difference isn’t big because they show it every game, and even in the games they didn’t play very well, they won.

“So that’s the step we have to make to compete for the title. The first game against Watford we played well and conceded at the end of the game.

“Burnley, at home, we created chances and didn’t score often. At home, we’ve had games where we didn’t score – you have around six points there already.”

poll loading

Should Emre Can sign a new contract at Liverpool?

3000+ VOTES SO FAR

Giggs revealed he needed counselling to help him get over leaving United

Date Posted,January 15, 2018

Ryan Giggs has revealed he needed counselling to cope with the psychological impact of leaving Manchester United.

The Old Trafford legend spent 24 years at the club as a player and another two years coaching before leaving in July 2016 when Jose Mourinho took charge.

Giggs admits he feared he had become institutionalised at United when he departed.

He said: “I saw a psychologist when I left United because I had been straight from school into being an apprentice.

“It was the same thing every day, going into Manchester United with a structure, and that was no longer going to be the case.

Giggs spent 26 years at Old Trafford (Image: Getty)

“I was about to start a new chapter where some of my days I wouldn’t be doing anything.

“I sought someone’s help regarding that and it was just about managing your week or day.

“I had never needed a psychologist while I was playing. But it was little things. You don’t just go to the gym around the corner.

“It helped because I was going into the unknown.

“It opens your eyes because there is a big old world out there other than football.

Giggs left United in 2016 (Image: REUTERS)

“Rather than fearing it, I enjoyed it, but I missed football and am glad to be back.”

Giggs, 44, is now excited about his first full-time management role after taking charge of Wales, who play in the China Cup in March.

He added: “I can’t wait to get started – it is frustrating I have to wait until March for my first game.”

Video Loading

Video Unavailable
Click to playTap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel

Play now

He is yet to finalise his backroom staff but his ex-United team-mate and England international Paul Scholes could potentially be involved.

The existing squad are hoping Coleman’s assistant Osian Roberts will continue in some capacity ahead of their League of Nations campaign and Euro 2020 qualifiers.

poll loading

Will Ryan Giggs lead Wales to a major tournament?

0+ VOTES SO FAR

Porto’s clash with Estoril abandoned amid fears over collapse of stand

Date Posted,January 15, 2018

Porto’s clash with Estoril was abandoned amid fears one of the stands was about to collapse.

The two sides were facing off at the Estádio António Coimbra da Mot.

The stadium was built in 1939 but the away stand was recently constructed.

Cracks began to appear in the foundation of the stands with police and security officials urging supporters to move out of the stand.

There were around 2,500 away supporters in the stand for the Portuguese top-flight clash.

Spectators evacuate the stands (Image: AFP)
Spectators evacuate the stands (Image: AFP)
(Image: AFP)
FC Porto’s supporters leave the stadium (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Supporters fled onto the pitch with others joining the Estoril fans in the home end, although the numbers led to concerns regarding over-crowding.

The encounter was delayed at half-time as Estoril sought advice from security and police forces inside the ground.

After a long delay, it was decided the game could not go ahead as the necessary security conditions had not been met.

Spectators evacuate the stands (Image: AFP)
(Image: REX/Shutterstock)

Estoril led 1-0 at the time of the postponement after Eduardo’s early strike,

The second-half of the encounter could be played on Tuesday, although there is no way the stand will be fixed in time.

Chelsea to begin work on £1bn Stamford Bridge redevelopment after agreeing temporary lease

Date Posted,January 14, 2018

Chelsea Football Club have agreed a temporary lease with councillors so work on a billion pound redevelopment of Stamford Bridge can begin despite objections.

A full cabinet meeting of Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Council on Monday night to recommendations which make a High Court injunction invalid.

The injunction was imposed when well-heeled local resident Nicholas Crosthwaite, 69, and his family argued their right to light would be impaired by the redevelopment of the famous west London stadium.

The new agreement will see the council use a loophole in Section 203 of the Housing and Planning Act to temporarily lease the land next to Stamford Bridge and lease it back to the club.

The Crosthwaite family, who have lived in 1-2 Stamford Cottages in Fulham, west London, for 50 years, are now entitled to compensation from the council.

(Image: Daily Mirror)
The home of Nicholas and Lucinda Crosthwaite (Image: SWNS.com)
Planning application (Image: Philip Coburn)

Workmen can now begin the £1 billionn development of Stamford Bridge, which is 122 years old and one of the oldest stadiums in the world.

Once what the councillors have agreed is enacted, only a judicial review can stop the work.

Abramovich’s club have been locked in the dispute since March 2015 and Chelsea appointed a team of experts to push through the plans.

The house next to Stamford Bridge (Image: Daily Mirror)
Stamford Bridge and the house (Image: Philip Coburn)

Many of Crosthwaite’s neighbours on the street, where properties are sold for upwards of £1.18m, have accepted already offers of compensation.

The family, parents Lucinda, 58, and Nicholas and their children Louis, 23, and Rose, 25, are understood to have already turned down a large sum from the club and demanded £20 million.

The ‘right to light’ law gives a landowner the right to receive sunlight through defined openings or gaps in buildings on his or her land.

Defending her family home, just a goal kick from the Chelsea pitch, Rose Crosthwaite said in legal documents: “My family have lived in Stamford Cottages for over 50 years and it is my home.

The house is circled (Image: Philip Coburn)

“It is acknowledged in the application that the sunlight and daylight will be seriously affected to five of our windows, namely living/family rooms and bedrooms by the walkway.

“It is deemed as having an unacceptable and harmful impact by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

“This has been brought to the attention of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham officers by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea officers in their two formal letters of objection, the latest dated 19 December 2016.

“I would urge the committee to request the applicants to look again at the unsuitable sitting of the walkway so as to cause this harmful and unacceptable sense of enclosure.”

Bayern boss Heynckes reveals he would “give his last shirt” to sign De Bruyne

Date Posted,January 14, 2018

Bayern Munich boss Jupp Heynckes has revealed the lengths he would go to to sign Manchester City star Kevin De Bruyne.

The Belgium ace has been in sensational form this season and is a major part of the reason why City sit so comfortably atop of the Premier League table.

De Bruyne has produced eight goals and 12 assists in all competitions so far this season.

Heynckes took charge of Bayern in October after Carlo Ancelotti was dismissed by the Bundesliga side.

Jupp Heynckes has got Bayern Munich back playing to their best (Image: REX/Shutterstock)

The 72-year-old has since guided his side to 15 wins from 17 games.

With the January transfer window wide open, Bayern could strengthen their squad. But Heynckes has only publicly declared his admiration for one man.

Kevin De Bruyne has been in sensational form for Manchester City this season (Image: Action Images via Reuters)

“Kevin De Bruyne: He did not play so well last year, but for him I would give my last shirt,” the Bayern boss told Kicker.

“In this position you have to have such a player. De Bruyne is clearly the outstanding player in Europe at the moment.”

poll loading

Will Kevin De Bruyne win this season’s Player of the Year award?

23000+ VOTES SO FAR