Cesar Azpilicueta has admitted he would love to be Chelsea ’s next captain and lead the club to a new era of success.
Defender Azpilicueta wore the armband for the FA Cup semi-final win over Spurs at Wembley on Saturday with club captain John Terry on the bench as his summer exit looms and regular stand-in Gary Cahill also out recovering from illness.
With the Blues on the verge of winning the Double and the 27-year-old Spain international said: “I am ready for whatever the club decides.
“Now JT is leaving, they will make a decision. I wore the armband at Wembley. It was a special moment for me and I am proud of it.
“Gary is the second captain now.
“The club will make the decision. Obviously, JT is a big loss. We will miss him but other players have to take more responsibility to lead the team.
- This is why Manchester United want Griezmann0:39
- Jose Mourinho suggests Jones and Smalling should 1:06
- Ronaldinho sends message to Lionel Messi after hi0:34
- Pep Guardiola speaks after defeat to Arsenal10:35
- Antonio Conte says Messi is not a selfish player1:31
- Arsenal players take on Arsenal legends in escape2:18
Antonio Conte speaks after Chelsea reach FA Cup final
“We have the experience of winning titles and fighting for trophies nearly every year. So this is something you cannot buy. It’s something you earn.
“We knew last season we were not at our level and now we have the chance to win two trophies. But we are still hungry for more.”