NEWS

\nAntonio Conte\'s side produced a classy, dominant display worthy of defending champions.\n Yet the Ch...
\nAround Anfield, he is known as the little Prince of Egypt, his heroics for club and country prompti...
\nDanny Rose is in line to return for Tottenham to face Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday night. \nRose was...
\nThe barometer has been pointing towards a change in the air.\n But Arsenal are not yet ready for a p...
\n Real Madrid star Karim Benzema has reportedly had enough of being blamed for his club\'s problems i...
Read More
Everton-v-Leicester-City-UK-09-Apr-2017.jpg

Barkley was NOT knocked out and is free to continue playing after attack

Date Posted,April 10, 2017

An unprovoked attack on Ross Barkley will NOT deliver a knock out blow to his hopes of starring for Everton.

The England midfielder was the victim of a sucker punch during an incident in a Liverpool club in the early hours of Monday morning, when he was knocked to the floor by a stranger.

Yet despite reports to the contrary, the 23 year old Everton star was not knocked out, and did not suffer any concussion of any form – both of which would have sidelined him for the weekend showdown with Burnley.

Barkley returned to full training with the Blues on the Monday after the incident, and was examined by club medics, who must now follow strict guidelines relating to head injuries.

Barkley in action against Leicester on Sunday (Photo: Rex Features)

He was quickly given a clean bill of health and the all clear to play matches, as the first team squad went through their warm down routine, following the victory over Champions Leicester on Sunday.

Everton officials have also made clear that the player WILL NOT be disciplined in any form for the incident, which occurred in a cocktail bar following the game, where Barkley had gone to wind down with friends.

Club sources said he was not in breach of any rules, and was under no curfew, with players given permission to head into the city centre following the game.

Barkley did not suffer any lasting effects after the incident (Photo: Getty)

The player himself revealed that he did not know the man who attacked him, through a statement issued by his legal team which confirmed the midfielder was the “innocent victim in this unprovoked assault made without warning by a stranger.”

The whole incident – thought to have occurred around 1am – was captured on CCTV, and was later uploaded onto the internet, with the tape going viral.

Barkley’s legal representatives confirmed they have not yet made a formal complaint to police, and are considering their options, but a spokesperson for Merseyside Police said they are now making enquiries, after being made aware of the footage.

poll loading

Will Ross Barkley be at Everton at the start of next season?

500+ VOTES SO FAR

Back to previous page

payment with

Security