Joey Barton is set to begin his second spell at Burnley with a ban after being charged with making 1,260 bets over the last 10 years.
The midfielder is rejoining the Clarets on a free and has been hit with a misconduct charge.
It is understood the FA were alerted by a betting company that Barton, 34, had been gambling extensively on games for the past decade. The FA have conducted a complex investigation into Barton’s activities and have charged him with placing 1,260 bets between March 26, 2006, and May 13, 2016.
Barton faces suspension because of the huge number of bets and he is already due to serve a one-match ban when he joins Burnley for breaking the Scottish FA’s rules on gambling from his ill-fated spell at Rangers.
Barton admitted placing 44 bets between July 1 and September 15 before he was sacked by Rangers after a training-ground row and fall-out with Gers manager Mark Warburton.
An FA statement read: “Joey Barton has been charged for misconduct in relation to betting.
“It is alleged that between 26 March 2006 and 13 May 2016, he placed 1,260 bets on the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in, football matches or competitions in breach of FA Rule E8.
“He has until 5 January 2017 to respond to the charge.”
- Ander Herrera shows off Eric Bailly’s sick dancin0:30
- John Terry turns prankster as he scares the livin0:16
- Cesc Fabregas gets his eyes gouged by baby daught0:27
- Pep Guardiola rules out January transfer activity0:51
- Pep Guardiola says it will be business as usual o0:20
- “The World is with you” Cristiano Ronaldo’s heart0:20
- Watch in Full: Pep Guardiola speaks ahead of Manc8:52
- WWE Superstars recite “The Night Before Christmas”2:24
- Arsenal Players Join Local Community ahead of Fes2:52
A Burnley statement said: “We have been made aware of FA charges against Joey Barton relating to historic betting on football matches.
“The club will discuss the matter with Joey and his legal representatives and will make no further comment at this time.”