The United boss has insisted it is “business as usual” at Newcastle after the club was raided by the HMRC on Wednesday.
MD Lee Charnley, who was arrested and held for the day, was back working with Benitez yesterday looking ahead to pre-season in July.
Top of the agenda with Ashley will be a transfer budget and what scope he has to rebuild his squad, but Benitez is positive.
Benitez said: “There is an investigation about something that happened four or five years ago. I will not talk about the (HMRC) investigation. I will do my usual business in terms of football.
“And I was talking with Mike Ashley (today). We have had this conversation about what is going on, what we will do next and how we will prepare for next season and everything.
“At the moment if you are asking if he has congratulated me, yes and we will discuss the future of the club, the future of myself, the and everything. We will do it in the professional way that I like to do things.
“I will have the meeting with him in, I don’t know, days or maybe a week, or something like this.
“Do I have a decision to make about the future? I am quite confident that everything will be fine, but my focus is on the remaining games.
“I need to talk with Mike and it depends on how things are going on going on whether I am optimistic. At the moment I am quite happy.
- Russian hooligans fight in the woods1:02
- Kevin de Bruyne brilliantly pulls off basketball 0:30
- Five Liverpool stars who loved playing against Ev1:23
- Paul Ince calls Jacqui Oatley ‘darling’ on ITV0:35
- Bastian Schweinsteiger mobbed by fans as he arriv0:44
- Gabbiadini shows off his finishing ability2:48
- Police appeal after Wolves vs Birmingham violence2:32
- When Alexis Sanchez almost joined Liverpool1:33
- PIERCE THREATENS TO RELEASE SEX TAPE OF HIM AND R0:32
- Violence breaks out in Macedonian parliament1:00
- Conor McGregor appears to film himself in his car0:10
- Pockets of empty seats at the Etihad as fans held0:35
- North Korea vows to destroy US if threatened in n2:28
- Woody gets off with Tina on Eastenders0:39
- Find out what Fidget Spinners are and how they wo0:55
HMRC visit Newcastle’s St James’s Park
“We have been fighting hard to go back to the Premier League and we will do our best to be sure we have a competitive team and that we can challenge for whatever.”
Asked what his budget will be to be competitive Benitez said: “That is part of the conversation. As I have said before we have to concentrate on football.
Asked about the HMRC investigation he replied: “What we did was train as usual. Normal session. Today I talked with Lee about pre season. We are trying to do football business in the same way.
“A friend was telling me that we were lucky that we were promoted already so I will take the positive. The positive thing is that we have done our job. And we enjoyed that for a couple of days. We have to be really proud of what we did, wait, and just do what we have to do, concentrate on football.”