Everton youngster Tom Davies has signed a new five-year deal.
The 18-year-old made his first-team debut at the end of last season and has become a permanent fixture under Ronald Koeman this term.
He scored his first goal for the club in the 4-0 victory over Manchester City in January , capping a man of the match display.
Koeman said: “He is maybe the young player who has improved the most in the last few months. He went straight into the team performing at a high level and has kept his feet on the ground.
“We’re really happy with his performances and, of course, proud. He’s a young player and that’s important for the rest of the Academy – to show you can make that next step like Tom did and, if that ends with a new contract, it’s perfect.”
Davies started in Saturday’s Merseyside derby and is expected to retain his place against Manchester United on Tuesday.
His deal keeps him with the club until the summer of 2022.
“It’s an unbelievable feeling. It means everything to me to get a chance to be in the Everton first team and to try to stay there,” Davies said.
- John Arne Riise storms out of awkward interview –3:23
- Proposals, goodbyes and returning heroes – Wrestl7:02
- Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown says Gunners1:05
- Liverpool fans sing new Divock Origi song0:40
- Jose Mourinho SLAMS Luke Shaw: “He’s a long way b0:23
- Pep Guardiola says Nacho Monreal admitted handbal0:36
- Spurs star films himself watching Arsenal0:24
- NFL star Rob Gronkowski jumps in the ring to help3:57
Ronald Koeman speaks after 3-1 defeat at Liverpool
“Everton has a long tradition of bringing young players through and the incentive has always been there for me to try to progress with the club.”
Everton are now expected to turn their attention to a new deal for Ross Barkley, while Romelu Lukaku’s future remains uncertain.