NEWS

\n Yaya Toure has admitted Manchester City’s players and boss Pep Guardiola are facing a make-or-br...
\nJose Mourinho has ruled out Manchester United making a move for Real Madrid star Gareth Bale this s...
\nBarcelona came out on top as two of Europe\'s juggernauts clashed in New Jersey on Saturday evening....
\nJose Mourinho insisted David De Gea will be at Manchester United next season - and claimed the goal...
\n Former England international Rachel Yankey believes Mark Sampson\'s side can see off Spain and cont...
Read More
Soccer-Co-operative-Insurance-Cup-Quarter-Final-Celtic-v-Heart-of-Midlothian-Celtic-Park.jpg

Former Man City and Celtic footballer found guilty of sexually assault

Date Posted,June 20, 2017

A former professional footballer has admitted sexually assaulting a young woman as she slept in her bed.

Ex- Manchester City and Celtic player Chris Killen, 35, was in a “stupefied state” from alcohol when he went into the spare bedroom of the house the woman was staying in, in Bury, Greater Manchester, and touched her sexually.

Killen had pleaded not guilty at an earlier hearing but admitted the offence shortly before he was due to go on trial before a jury at Minshull Street Crown Court, Manchester, on Wednesday.

He stood in the dock and pleaded guilty to a single charge of sexual assault on September 17 last year.

Lisa Judge, defending, said the guilty plea had been made on a “specific basis” as to what Killen had admitted doing, and this had been accepted by the prosecution.

The basis of the plea was not given in court and no further details about the sexual assault were made public.

Miss Judge said Killen, of London Road, Adlington, near Macclesfield, had “no relevant” previous convictions.

Killen in action for Celtic (Photo: PA)

Gary Woodall, prosecuting, said Killen’s basis of plea was “inconsistent” with the complainant’s statement to police.

But after “lengthy discussion” Mr Woodall said the complainant had “taken the lead” and there would now not be a trial given Killen’s admission of guilt.

Judge Maurice Greene adjourned for the preparation of pre-sentence and psychiatric reports on the defendant.

He gave Killen bail but added: “At the end of the day this was a sexual assault on a sleeping young woman. It’s a serious matter.

“All sentencing options will remain open to the court.”

New Zealand-born Killen represented his country in the 2010 World Cup after playing for Middlesbrough and Celtic and starting his career with Man City as a trainee.

His playing career also included stints at Hibernian, Norwich, Oldham Athletic, Port Vale and Wrexham.

Back to previous page

payment with

Security