Pep Guardiola cut short Claudio Bravo’s birthday celebrations by telling the £17million former Barcelona star he is not his number one keeper.
The Manchester City boss brought the Chilean back for Saturday’s 3-1 win against Hull after eight Premier League games on the sidelines – but has quickly brought him back done to earth.
Bravo, 34 on Thursday, believed after last weekend’s recall he was back in favour after having to temporarily play second fiddle to Willy Caballero.
But Guardiola was giving no guarantees for the man who was controversially brought in to replace popular England keeper Joe Hart.
City, desperate to finish in the top four, go to Southampton tomorrow with Guardiola insisting: “Every week I am going to decide who is in goal. Last week I decided for Claudio.
“It depends on whether the opposition make a lot of high pressing and what I see in the training session. I have confidence in both of them so we will see.”
It’s a blow to Bravo who also has a fight on his hands to convince the City fans that he is the man to step into Hart’s shoes despite being heralded by Guardiola following his capture from the Nou Camp last summer.
But for Hart there is no way back with City ready to sell in the summer following his season long loan at Torino.
Torino would like to extend the loan but they will be told to cough up the £20 million that the club are demanding for the 29-year-old or lose out.
Guardiola wasn’t prepared to open up over his summer plans saying: “At the end of the season we will talk about these players whose contracts are up and all the loan players.
“We follow all the players who are playing. We follow Joe Hart every weekend. Me, the staff, we follow the loan players. We have a lot to follow.”
He is hoping to have club skipper Vincent Kompany available for the trio to the south coast. The Belgian was on the bench against Hull after playing his first full 90 minutes Premier League action of the season in the previous game against Chelsea.
“After the game against Chelsea he had a problem in one of his legs. We didn’t want to take a risk but the good news was he was able to play 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge, at a high level.”Guardiola added.
“In the future maybe he can play two games a week. Will he be here next season? Yes, he has a contract.”
Guardiola was surprised that none of his City players were named in the six man shortlist for the prestigious PFA Player of the Year awards.
When asked about the omission of stars like leading scorer Sergio Aguero and magical midfield maestro David Silva Guardiola snapped: “Congratulations to the nominees! It’s not my business, No.”
But he praised tomorrow’s opponents who claimed a 1-1 draw earlier in the season at the Etihad.
“Southampton have a good manager and exceptional players. They have good quality with the likes of (Nathan) Redmond. The full backs go up and down. They have a really good team. They are a really good test for us.”he said.