NEWS

\n Borussia Dortmund’s Michael Zorc is in line to become Arsenal \'s new sporting director. \nThe 55-...
\n Former Tottenham strker Mido believes Liverpool will struggle to keep hold of Mohamed Salah - beca...
\nManchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic completed his comeback from injury last night when he ...
\nChris Coleman has taken Sunderland training - despite not yet being officially confirmed as the clu...
\n Paul Pogba delighted Manchester United fans with his return to action against Newcastle on Saturda...
Read More
50-defining-moments-of-the-season.jpg

Hazard says he wants hat-trick of titles with Chelsea NOT Real Madrid move

Date Posted,June 15, 2017

Eden Hazard is targeting yet another Premier League title and next season’s Player of the Year award.

Despite transfer interest in him from Real Madrid, Chelsea’s brilliant Belgian appears to now be committed to Stamford Bridge and not looking for a move to the Bernabeu.

Hazard, 26, is recovering from a fractured ankle, suffered on international duty, after he clinched his second championship in three seasons.

He could be fit again by the end of August though, and has set his sights firmly on maintaining Chelsea’s dominance of the English top flight and regaining the Player of the Year crown he was awarded two seasons ago.

He said: “Hopefully, next year it is the same — we win the league and then I win Player of the Year.

Hazard was named Footballer of the Year by his fellow pros in April 2015… (Photo: PA)
…for his contribution to Chelsea winning the title that season… (Photo: Getty)
…but his struggles with form and injuries contributed to Mourinho being sacked six months later (Photo: Getty)

” Obviously winning the league is what we want most and the award is just a bonus.

“We started this season well and we won the league, but next year we have to work as hard as we have this season. We have to be ready every year at the same level to stay at the top.”

Hazard, who netted 16 times this term and was voted the club’s Player of the Year by fans last month, added: “I’ve been here for five years now and I’m so happy.

“I’m at one of the best clubs in the world, so I’m very happy to play for such a big club like this.

Club and player resumed normal service this past season to regain the championship (Photo: Getty)

“After five years, I know everything about the club. Even if I’m still only 26, I have a lot of experience now.

“I started playing at 16 in France, so I’ve been professional for 10 years. In terms of games and experience, I’m one of the oldest ones.

“I like this club because it’s like a family. I have a lot of friends and we all talk to each other.”

Although Real boss Zinedine Zidane is a big Hazard admirer, Spain’s back-to-back Champions League winners have been told in no uncertain terms by Chelsea that Hazard is not for sale.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable
Click to playTap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel

Play now

They could even hand the former Lille star a new contract, despite there being three years left on his current deal.

Hazard has been reinvigorated by the arrival of new manager Antonio Conte, returning to his best form after falling out with Jose Mourinho last season before the Special One was sacked in the December.

Speaking to Chelsea Magazine, he added: “Personally, and as a team, it was a very good season.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable
Click to playTap to play
The video will start in 8Cancel

Play now

After a bad campaign it’s obviously very important to bounce back and become champions again.

“I stayed at the top level last season in almost every game so I was happy with my own form.

“I know if I score I can help the team win games, and in the new system I have been closer to the goal so it’s been easier to penetrate, make assists and score goals.

“But our success was down to all of the players. Everybody’s form was fantastic, which was great for us.”

Winning successive Champions League finals has been easier for Real Madrid than landing Hazard (Photo: AFP/Getty)

Meanwhile, the Blues are continuing to target £52million-rated Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly, despite the Italians’ insistence that he is not for sale at any price.

The Serie A heavyweights rejected an approach from Chelsea last summer, instead persuading the 25-year-old to sign a new contract.

Conte, however, is keen to reinforce his defensive options ahead of the club’s return to the Champions League next season.

Back to previous page

payment with

Security