Goals from Dele Alli and Harry Kane secured a rather routine 2-0 win for Tottenham in the final NLD before they move to Wembley and then their new ground, currently being built next to White Hart Lane.
Speaking to Sky Sports after the game he said: “Yes, overall they deserved the win. Because first of all they scored two goals and we didn’t but it was an even game until the first goal. Then straight away after that we conceded the penalty.
“You could see we were affected by that and Spurs looked more dangerous than before.
“And as we didn’t come back to 2-1 they were comfortable. We did not create enough but that is down to Spurs as well, they were sharper than us physically and we were too restricted in our game.
“At the moment we are not back to the level of confidence we need to play in the way we can. The desire was there but we lacked something today.”
And on Spurs finishing above Arsenal for the first time since 1995, Wenger could only congratulate his North London rivals.
He added: “Well done to them, but when you start the championship the target is not to finish above Spurs, it is to fight for the title. In 20 years it happened once.
“Mathematically it has to happen once. We are not happy with it but we don’t compare ourselves to Spurs, we compare ourselves to where we want to be.”
Are you Wenger in or Wenger out?
2000+ VOTES SO FAR
- TYSON FURY DARES HIS PAL TO EAT SOMEONE ELSE’S FO0:39
- ARSENAL TV PRESENTER VERBALLY ABUSED BY TOTTENHAM0:50
- Mauricio Pochettino speaks after win over Arsenal0:54
- Anthony Joshua addresses press the day after win 1:04
- Antonio Conte speaks after win over Everton4:19
- Pep Guardiola speaks after Middlesbrough draw6:08
- Jurgen Klopp speaks ahead of Watford clash19:11
- Kyle Walker shows off his ability in training1:28
- Pete Wicks reveals ‘nightmare’ of dealing with Ch0:32
- DEFIANT ANGELA MERKEL ARRIVES IN SAUDI ARABIA WIT2:25
- Paramedic gets out of ambulance to scold selfish 1:07
- Mum beats cancer after being diagnosed with the d0:36
- homeless are living in squalid tunnels underneath0:40
Pochettino and Wenger react to Spurs 2-0 Arsenal