Borussia Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel has hit out at UEFA for making them face Monaco just 24 hours after an attack on their team bus.
The two sides were scheduled to meet in the Champions League quarter-final first leg on Tuesday before three explosions near the Dortmund team bus saw the clash postponed.
It went ahead 24 hours later as Monaco ran out 3-2 winners.
UEFA insisted they consulted both teams before making the decision but Tuchel has suggested that wasn’t the case.
“We weren’t asked at any point. We were told by text message that the decision had been made in Switzerland,” Tuchel said.
“When they told us ‘you’re up tomorrow’, we felt completely ignored.
“They treated it as if a beer can had been thrown at the bus.
“We would have liked more time to take stock,” he added. “This gives you the feeling of impotence, that we have to keep functioning and nothing else matters.
“I encouraged everyone to take the game seriously but football is not the most important thing in the world.”
“Every player has the right to deal with it in his way. The team did not feel in the mood, in which you must be for such a game.
“We let the players choose if they wanted to play. But this morning, we found that the training had done good, that it had made us think of something else.”
Tuchel’s comments led UEFA to reiterate their previous statement.
“The decision to play the match today at 18.45 was made late last night at BVB Stadium in cooperation and complete agreement with clubs and authorities,” it said.
“We were in touch with all parties today and never received any information which suggested that any of the teams did not want to play.”
- Real Madrid post animation celebrating Ronaldo’s 0:12
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic recognised as club legend in M0:38
- Jose Mourinho and Paul Pogba speak ahead of Ander2:27
- Leicester fans clash with police in Madrid0:51
- Five things that will definitely happen during Ba1:42
- Five things we learned from Manchester United’s t1:07
- WATCH LIVE: Jose Mourinho press conference ahead 0:01
- Paul Pogba takes it back to 2012 by dancing ‘Gang0:24
- Incredible close-up footage shows tanker INFERNO 0:48
- Chrissy Teigen can’t quite squeeze into this dres0:26
- Megan and Pete have it out after break up0:36
- Woman finds out her niece plans to killer her0:42
Nuri Sahin speaks about the explosion on the Dortmund team coach
UEFA competitions director Giorgio Marchetti added: “The schedule of these clubs is completely full and the next round of the Champions League will take place in early May.
“I guess that this was done in full conscience and knowledge of the situation and also knowing that a different option would be quite difficult.”
Speaking on BT Sport, Rio Ferdinand added: ” Being on a team bus, to have something like that happen, they should be afforded time.
“An extra day or two, UEFA should have given them that.”