Roy Keane has delivered a typically scathing verdict on Jose Mourinho’s first season at Manchester United, insisting that even two trophies would not make up for their ’embarrassing’ Premier League performance.
The Red Devils won the EFL Cup earlier this season and are 90 minutes away from a place in the Europa League final, but sit 19 points behind leaders Chelsea in the Premier League.
And that is not good enough for the former Red Devils skipper.
“He [Jose Mourinho] has come out with plenty of excuses over the last few months but I can’t see any reason why United should shy away from these challenges,” he said on ITV.
“They are 6th in the league, 19 points behind Chelsea, the manager and the players should be embarrassed by that.”
United go into Thursday’s Europa League semi-final second leg at home to Celta Vigo 1-0 up on aggregate and Keane believes they should be winning the trophy.
“In terms of getting their hands on the Europa League, there is no excuse why they can’t do it,” he continued.
Keane was then asked if adding the Europa League to the EFL Cup would be a good season.
“I wouldn’t go that far,” he snarled.
“For a club like Man United, winning the League Cup and Europa League, with the teams that are in it, you would expect them to do that.
“But to be so far behind in the league, it is nothing short of embarrassing. “With the squad they have and the money they’ve spent, it’s not good enough.”
- Watch in full: Arsene Wenger speaks after Arsenal4:28
- Real Madrid fans overjoyed with progression to Ch0:30
- Tyson Fury posts video of his daughter predicting1:00
- Wayne Rooney says he wants to stay at Manchester 0:30
- Police in Madrid try to clam troubles between Rea0:23
- Former royal correspondent Jennie Bond defends co0:45
- Horror aftermath of Indian wedding wall collapse0:36
- Watch the trailer for the Steve Harvey Show1:42
- Deserae Turner’s mum breaks down at press confere0:42
- Disturbing footage shows people STANDING on Splas0:27
- Putin reacts to firing of James Comey0:26
- Huge brawl breaks out at wedding reception0:36
- Watch the original trailer for MTV’s Rob & Big1:59
- Prince Philip undertakes first engagement since a0:28
Jose Mourinho speaks ahead of Manchester United v Celta Vigo
United dropped down to sixth in the Premier League on Wednesday night after Arsenal overtook them following their 2-0 win at Southampton.
They currently sit four points adrift of cross-town rivals Manchester City who occupy the fourth and final Champions League qualification spot, meaning that a Europa League victory presents their best chance at landing a spot in Europe’s premier club competition next season.