The 21-year-old made a shock appearance as a substitute in the 1-1 draw against Everton on Tuesday night and then declared his intention to fight for his Old Trafford future.
But Sunday Mirror Sport understands that Mourinho has already made up his mind to ditch Shaw at the end of the season.
And the United boss understands that welcoming the left-back into the fold is the only way the club can recover a significant return on a player rated one of the hottest prospects in the country when he was signed from Southampton in the summer of 2015. Shaw has struggled for form since suffering a horrific broken leg in the early weeks of last season.
- Bayern Munich fans celebrate beating Dortmund0:22
- Jurgen Klopp on Coutinho and Mignolet0:58
- Jurgen Klopp speaks after Liverpool win over Stoke9:14
- Derek Fox speaks after riding One For Arthur to G0:32
- Diego Costa loses it while playing FIFA with Kante0:34
- Conor McGregor arrives for Aintree in private jet1:00
- This man is raffling his £800k house for £2 a tic0:33
- National Lottery Draws: Saturday 8th April3:18
- Gary Barlow apologises to fan for his spelling on0:31
- Bradley Lowery becomes an honorary jockey for the0:34
- It’s finally revealed who Markface is…0:40
- Dec gives the viewers a shock when huge balloon i0:33
- Sunday 9th April could be the hottest day of the 1:53
- News presenter reads out breaking news of husband0:37
Jose Mourinho thinks Javier Hernandez would do well in his United team
And Mourinho’s criticism of the defender has given clubs hope they can land Shaw on the cheap. United are confident of limiting their losses if Shaw is given minutes on the pitch. They recouped most of the £24million spent on Morgan Schneiderlin when they sold the Frenchman to Everton in January.
And the deal that took £25m Memphis Depay to Lyon in the same month could ultimately raise £18m. Both were regulars in Mourinho’s squad until they left. The United boss put Shaw in the shop window after clear-the-air talks last Monday.
He was restored to the squad and helped United salvage a point against Everton when his goalbound shot was handled by Ashley Williams, Zlatan Ibrahimovic scoring from the penalty spot.