Jose Mourinho has criticised players who put lifestyle before ambition and says he only wants to sign those committed to Manchester United.
Mourinho has drawn up a list of summer transfer targets that includes Atletico Madrid’s Antoine Griezmann, Monaco’s Tiemoue Bakayoko and Inter Milan’s Ivan Perisic.
Unsettled Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez said this week his priority is to stay in London, with the Chile international a target for champions-elect Chelsea.
But Mourinho said players swayed by the lure of living in the capital are not the kind he wants playing for him at United as he plans a £150million spend this summer.
“If a player wants to move to London, enjoy London, we don’t want you,” said Mourinho. “If the first thing you think is where you’re going to live, think Los Angeles.
“LA Galaxy would be the first choice, then Vitoria Setubal in Portugal – to go to the beach every day. There are beautiful places to live and to play. But we want people who are really engaged by the first contact.
“We want people that, if I call or Mr Woodward calls some guy or some agent, we want people who are immediately engaged or dreaming about coming.
“This is the profile of players we want. If you don’t want to come to us, good luck, enjoy your other club.”
Mourinho has targeted a minimum of four signings this summer as he looks to build a United side capable of challenging for the Premier League title next season.
The United boss has already informed executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward of his first-choice targets and is confident he will be successful in landing most of them.
“It’s very important to get signings done early and the board knows that,” said Mourinho.
- Premier League manager press conference highlights2:27
- Jose Mourinho admits regret over Bastian Schweins3:00
- Liverpool unveil their new dressing room at Anfie0:45
- Meet the Man United Fan who has the club crest ta1:30
- Setback for Liverpool skipper Jordan Henderson0:29
- James Corden weighs in on Cristiano Ronaldo’s sta0:34
- Liverpool dealt big blow ahead of Merseyside derby0:33
- Cops confirm remains of Isabel Celis have been fo0:54
- Watch moment hunter TAKES OUT radioactive wild bo0:40
- Mama June wakes up from FIVE HOUR surgery covered0:32
- Eric Clapton seen looking frail in a wheelchair a0:43
- Wenger coy on Arsenal future1:43
- Inside Gert Meyers’ SECRET chemical lab…0:34
- Grand National bosses approve personal stereos fo1:00
Mourinho on Manchester United team news ahead of WBA clash
“But I also know that the market is very difficult, so I’m not a silly manager to say, ‘I give the names and you have to give me the players.’
“I give the names, the options, I give the second options in case the first are not possible. But I give all the information based on my analysis, based on my experience and my projections for the future.
“But our relationship is very, very good.
“First of all they know I’m not asking for impossible targets, I ask for difficult targets. Then it’s a difficult job and they try to do the best they can.
“I’m sure that by the end of the summer we probably don’t have exactly my first options, because it’s difficult to succeed with every attempt.
“But I’m sure we’re going to do something interesting and to improve our team for next season.”