Marc Overmars has put the breaks on a proposed return to Arsenal, saying the prospect of moving back to the club is ‘not exciting yet’.
The former Gunners winger, who is currently director of football at Ajax, is one of the leading candidates for the role of sporting director at the Emirates.
Football.Londonreport that while there has been no official talks, the Dutch giants believe Arsenal’s interest is ‘serious’ and are already casting their eye over possible replacements for the 44-year-old.
And Overmars – while remaining fairly coy on the link – admits a return to his former club in the future would be an appealing option.
“I think there is a list with some names and I might be on it,” he said. “But it’s not that exciting yet.
- Watch in Full: Jose Mourinho speaks after Manches7:04
- Florentino Pérez presents Cristiano Ronaldo with 0:36
- Fernando Torres talks about playing with Steven G0:55
- Fans run onto the pitch for safety after trouble 0:19
- Ronald Koeman hits back at Didier Drogba over Luk0:21
- Police launch Mapperley Park murder investigation0:14
- Man stung by scorpion on United airlines flight t1:04
Arsene Wenger responds to Marc Overmars rumours
“I know the club pretty well, I have always kept in touch with Arsenal. So in that respect it is not surprising, because I’ve had a few good years.
“But right now we’re focused on Ajax. I just signed here for four years.”
When asked whether he would like to move to Arsenal, should the opportunity present itself, Overmars added: “I had certain ambitions as a player, and I have those as a director of football.
“We’ll see what happens in the future.”