Rooney is set to play his last European game at Old Trafford on Thursday, as United take on Celta Vigo for a place in the Europa League final.
The United skipper has been a bit-part player this season but insists, ‘I haven’t thrown my toys out of the pram’, as he acknowledged he is facing up to the end of his 13-year Old Trafford career.
Rooney has offers from Major League Soccer, the Chinese Super League and former club Everton.
“I haven’t thrown my toys out of the pram but I’m a football player and I want to play football,” said the 31-year-old. “Would I like to stay? I’ve been at this club 13 years, but I want to play football.”
Asked if he wanted to remain at United next season, Rooney, 31, who is set to be a substitute against Celta, said: “Of course, but football changes. You have different challenges in your career. This season I haven’t played as much as I would have liked.
“Of course you want to play. You want to play every game. Sometimes that’s football and I’ve hard to keep working and try to take my chances.
“That’s what I’ve done. When called upon I’ll try my best to help the team, on and off the pitch. My focus is on trying to help us reach this final. It’s a massive opportunity for us.
“It’s important to be back in the Champions League. This club belongs there. Realistically, it’s going to be difficult to do it through the league. We have to concentrate on winning the trophy.”
Reflecting on the European highlights of his United career, Rooney said: “All the big European nights here under the lights.
“The big win against Roma, the 3-2 win against AC Milan, and my debut was a big game for me. The European nights are different and you can sense the excitement around the stadium.”
- Roy Keane SLAMS Manchester United after “embarras0:39
- Watch in full: Arsene Wenger speaks after Arsenal4:28
- Real Madrid fans overjoyed with progression to Ch0:30
- Tyson Fury posts video of his daughter predicting1:00
- Watch in full: Jose Mourinho speaks ahead of Manc12:33
- Wayne Rooney says he wants to stay at Manchester 0:30
- Police in Madrid try to clam troubles between Rea0:23
- Former royal correspondent Jennie Bond defends co0:45
- Horror aftermath of Indian wedding wall collapse0:36
- Watch the trailer for the Steve Harvey Show1:42
- Deserae Turner’s mum breaks down at press confere0:42
- Disturbing footage shows people STANDING on Splas0:27
- Putin reacts to firing of James Comey0:26
- Huge brawl breaks out at wedding reception0:36
- Watch the original trailer for MTV’s Rob & Big1:59
Wayne Rooney speaks ahead of Manchester United v Celta Vigo