Burnley were leading 1-0 when the game was called off on police advice.
Trouble broke out during the first half in the Hannover section of the ground.
According to reports, seats were ripped up and thrown and the visiting fans surged towards the home end in the Cricket Field Stand.
The first half continued with Ben Mee firing the Premier League side into the lead.
But during the interval, police looked to restore order as stewards moved the Burnley fans out of the Cricket Field End.
The players were late emerging for the second half and it quickly became clear that the game was in danger of being postponed.
Burnley’s official Twitter account then confirmed the game had been abandoned at 4.10pm before a tannoy announcement was made inside the stadium announcing the news saying it was due to an ‘extreme risk’ to the safety of supporters.
Burnley posted the following on their official Twitter account: ‘ Today’s game has been abandoned on police advice. More to follow.’
Burnley boss Sean Dyche said it was the right decision and the safety of everyone inside the stadium was the most important factor.
Dyche said: “They called us in and said ‘look, we’re going to call it for the safety of all involved, stewards, fans, police etc’.
“That was pretty early, the police were in the referee’s room, called me, went through the procedure, and obviously we fully support the police’s decision.
“Hopefully nobody has got hurt. You can’t really tell what’s going on from how far away we are, but it didn’t look ideal.
“You hope that’s gone out of the game, and it generally has. The police called it early, no one wanted anything other than a game of football.”
Chief Superintendent Chris Bithell, of Lancashire Police, also gave his reasons behind why the game was abandoned.
Bithell, speaking in a statement released by the force said: “A decision was taken to abandon the football match between Burnley FC and Hanover 96, following consultation between the police match commander, the referee and Burnley FC’s grounds safety officer.
‘This follows violent behaviour by a group of travelling Hanover fans, who attempted to attack fans in the home stands, as well as police officers and stewards.
‘Although a robust policing operation was in place for the match, based on pre-game intelligence, additional resources have now been brought in from across the county to ensure no further disorder occurs.’
The Burnley and Badiham police were clearly not expecting any trouble to take place after posting a message on social media in the build-up to the game saying how the Hannover fans will make it a ‘party atmosphere’.
They posted the following on their Facebook page: ‘Welcome to Hannover 96 fans in Burnley today. Enjoy a safe visit. These fans create a party atmosphere which you may see in town today.’
Burnley begin their Premier League campaign when they face the champions Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on August 12.