NEWS

\n When a 17-year-old Gareth Barry made his debut as sub for Aston Villa’s Ian Taylor at Hillsborou...
\nBrighton match-winner Tomer Hemed is facing a three-match FA ban after stamping on Newcastle’s De...
\nArsene Wenger has warned Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola: No manager can afford to dismiss the cup ...
\nEngland’s footballers will be able to wear the poppy on their shirts when they take on Germany wi...
\n What do you give the manager who seemingly has everything? Even more, if you’re Pep ­Guardiola....
Read More
Arsenals-Mathieu-Debuchy-goes-off-injured.jpg

Wenger hits back at ‘frustrated’ Debuchy after Arsenal man claimed pair don’t speak

Date Posted,December 29, 2016

Arsene Wenger has rejected Mathieu Debuchy’s claim that he pair are not on speaking terms, blaming ‘frustration’ for the defender’s recent outburst .

The Arsenal fullback has played only 16 minutes in the Premier League this season and is currently sidelined with a thigh injury.

And in a recent interview he said that he is barely on speaking terms with his manager after he blocked a loan move to Manchester United.

“Have I asked for an explanation from Arsene Wenger? No, not since last January,” he said. “Before my loan to Bordeaux, I was often in his office. But since, I have not felt the need, I have not wanted to. We greet each other, we say hello – nothing more.”

Debuchy limped off against Bournemouth last month (Photo: REUTERS)

But now Wenger has hit back, claiming that he talks to all his squad members.

“We speak,” said the Gunners boss. “There is communication with all the players.

“It’s a little bit of a frustrated article from a player who is injured.

“When you are injured you cannot play. I gave him the opportunity to go to Bordeaux on loan last year but nobody came in for him over the summer – not Fiorentina or Espanyol. Some things in the article are not true.”

Wenger also claims that there was no offer to take the former Newcastle man on loan.

“You have to take this article with a bit of distance,” Wenger added.

Debauchy had a loan spell at Bordeaux earlier this year
Mathieu Debuchy
The Frenchman has struggled to break into the Arsenal first-team picture since his return (Photo: GETTY)

“Manchester United didn’t make an offer for him. That is untrue. It is surprising to hear something like that.”

The 31-year-old has been dogged by injuries since moving to North London in July 2014 while Hector Bellerin has emerged as the new right-back, meaning Debuchy wants a permanent move away from the Emirates.

poll loading

Would Mathieu Debuchy have been a good signing for Manchester United?

1000+ VOTES SO FAR

Back to previous page

payment with

Security