Jack Wilshere has suffered another devastating injury blow after scans revealed he has broken his leg.
The England midfielder got the bad news on Tuesday after a second CT scan on the injury he suffered to his left ankle in a tackle with Harry Kane during Bournemouth’s 4-0 defeat at Tottenham on Saturday.
It showed up a crack in his left fibula, similar to the problem which kept the Arsenal star out for most of last season.
Wilshere, 25, underwent an initial X-ray which did not show a break, but further checks revealed the full extent of the injury.
The timescale of his recovery is not yet known and there must be fears he will miss the start of next season.
He has suffered a string of injury blows through his career which have hampered his progress and led to him being loaned to Bournemouth this season.
This latest setback comes at a bad time for Wilshere who was about to begin talks over a new contract with Arsenal within the next week.
- Grand plans for proposed expansion of Anfield to 0:49
- Real Madrid fans line the streets to greet arriva2:35
- Denise Bueno – Brazilian football’s eye-catching 0:35
- Barcelona kid attempts to score cheeky goal in un1:09
- Divok Origi discusses which Liverpool players wou1:00
- Cristiano Ronaldo stars in new MEO advert0:59
- Jose Mourinho praises Ander Herrera0:19
Jack Wilshere admits turning to religion over injuries
His current deal expires in 2018 and his next contract was supposed to be the biggest of his career but now there will be fresh concerns over his long-term fitness and career.
Wilshere left Tottenham on crutches on Saturday and in a protective boot and he may now return to Arsenal for treatment as his loan to Bournemouth expires in the summer.