Jurgen Klopp is unwilling to commit over the seriousness of Sadio Mane’s injury, but has hinted that his season could be over.
Mane, 24, limped off during Saturday’s Merseyside derby with a knee problem, after a challenge with Leighton Baines.
The £30million winger is not on crutches and there is no suggestion he has damaged his cruciate ligament.
As such, Klopp as sought to ease fears over his problem, but admits “it is not very positive”.
“It’s not 100 per cent clear. We have to wait a little bit. I can say for sure he won’t be available for tomorrow.
“It is not very positive. But we cannot say what it is exactly.
However, Mane will undergo further tests in the coming days to fully find out the extent of a problem.
And not only has that left Klopp admitting he has been cursing the heavens, but also that his most direct attacker may not play for the Reds again until next term.
“Losing Sadio on Saturday was like ‘oh my God’. Can’t we have one day where everything is perfect?
“The knee is swollen. We wait for the final assessment. It’s possible [his season could be over] but why should I say that now?”
“When a knee is swollen, it’s not often I hear afterwards that it’s nothing. But even then, or especially then, the more difficult a situation seems to be the better it is to handle it.
“Everyone would miss Sadio. Southampton probably still miss him, Salzburg still miss him..”
The Reds do have better news regarding Daniel Sturridge however, who returned to training this week and is available for Wednesday’s clash with Bournemouth.
“Daniel is in team training and it’s good to have him back.”
- Wenger and Guardiola react to 2-2 draw3:47
- Liverpool holidaymaker finds a creepy stowaway in0:29
- Adam Lallana absent from Liverpool training1:19
- Liverpool train in Tenerife during team bonding t1:17
- Klopp reacts to Ben Woodburn’s early Wales call-up1:10
- Klopp rates Man City toughest team to play ahead 0:40
- Watch Jurgen Klopp’s pre-match press conference a19:08
- Jurgen Klopp speaks to press after Liverpool’s 2-8:48
- Klopp faces the press ahead of Burnley clash19:36
- Watch Naby Keita in training0:43
- Klopp faces the press ahead of crucial Arsenal cl24:17
Klopp reacts to Sadio Mane injury following Merseyside derby