Jose Mourinho is facing an injury crisis after Marouane Fellaini picked up a knock on international duty.
The Belgium national team confirmed that the Manchester United midfielder will miss Tuesday’s friendly against Russia due to a ‘toe complaint’.
Fellaini has become the third United player to suffer a setback while away with their country after England duo Chris Smalling and Phil Jones were both withdrawn from the squad with problems, report the Manchester Evening News.
Although Fellaini’s injury is described as ‘minor’, Jose Mourinho could face an unwanted dilemma if he is unavailable for the weekend visit of West Brom after Bastian Schweinsteiger’s transfer to Chicago Fire was sanctioned.
- Bastian Schweinsteiger sends a farewell message t0:46
- Wladimir Klitschko’s birthday message0:29
- Burnley star Andre Gray surprises pop star girlfr1:00
- Diego Simeone casually smashing out some pull-ups0:27
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang now has luminous hair0:15
- Ryan Giggs demands more variation from Marcus Ras0:30
- Lee Dixon brings up painful past memory caused by0:33
- Goalscorers Jermaine Defoe and Jamie Vardy speak 1:55
Bastian Schweinsteiger reveals he is training with RCD Mallorca
Paul Pogba suffered a hamstring injury during the Europa League win over FC Rostov less than two weeks ago and Ander Herrera will serve the second match of his two-game suspension at the weekend.
Michael Carrick could be the only available senior midfielder.
Wayne Rooney was recognised as an auxiliary midfielder by Louis van Gaal last season but has been out for a fortnight through injury and Mourinho vowed before the season he would not play the United captain in midfield.
An alternative is Daley Blind, who spent the first six months of his United career in midfield before he switched to a more defensive role.
Fellaini played a pivotal role during United’s hectic final week before the spring internationals.
He emerged after Herrera’s 35th minute red card at Chelsea, offset Pogba’s withdrawal superbly against Rostov and was dependable as a starter in the win at Middlesbrough.